My name is Catherine Topham Sly and I am a warm and welcoming professional counsellor.
I work with adult individuals and couples in Brighton and Hove who want to make changes and feel better.
If you decide to come for counselling with me, we will work together to make sense of your problems and find a way forwards.
I will give you space to tell your story and unravel your thoughts and feelings. I will listen with empathy. But also with an objective distance that enables me to make links you might not have noticed.
I will offer my ideas to you with an open mind. This way we can think together about what you need and how you can get it.
Through my training and experience – professional and personal – I have a deep understanding of the range of difficulties that bring people to counselling. I also have a great respect for anyone who is brave enough to face their struggles and explore what they can do about them.
Often I think the core aim of counselling is best summed up by the serenity prayer. If you are looking to achieve serenity (or something close to it!) by accepting the things you cannot change, finding the courage to change the things you can, and the wisdom to know the difference, I believe that therapy can help you on that path.
The best way to find out whether I would be the right therapist for you would be to book a consultation. But if you would like to know a little more about my background first, please read on.
Catherine Topham Sly’s Professional Background
My academic background is in linguistics, the scientific study of language. I took a particular interest in psycholinguistics and sociolinguistics: what the things we say and how we say them tell us about ourselves and how we relate to others.
After University I worked at a communications consultancy. I managed people and projects and developed my listening skills as a market research focus group facilitator. I enjoyed the work but found the corporate world unfulfilling. So in 2011 I started training as a counsellor.
I have a Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling and Therapy from Northbrook College, Sussex, and am an accredited member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy, working to their ethical framework.
Catherine Topham Sly’s Areas of Expertise
I specialise in working with clients (both individuals and couples) who are struggling with relationship issues. I also work with a lot of people who are suffering with stress, anxiety and depression. However I have training and experience working with clients with a variety of difficulties and conditions. This includes but is not limited to:
· abuse · addictions · alcohol and substance misuse · antenatal depression · bereavement · birth trauma · bullying · chronic worry · disability · eating disorders · generalised anxiety disorder · identity crises · illness · infertility · loss · life changes · low self-esteem · miscarriage · obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) · panic attacks · post-natal depression · post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) · redundancy · relationship difficulties · self-harm · separation and divorce · sexuality · suicidal thoughts · substance abuse · trauma · work and career issues
This list is not exhaustive. I would be happy to talk to you about whether I could help with any other mental health issue you might be suffering. I also work with clients whose goal is simply their own personal growth and development, or to understand themselves better.
Relevant Qualifications and Registrations
- 2018: Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
- 2017-2018: Supervision Training, The Rock Clinic
- 2017: Certificate in Working with Couples, The Link Centre
- 2016: Registered Member of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
- 2014: Transactional Analysis 101 Certificate, Northbrook College
- 2012-2014: Advanced Diploma in Counselling and Therapy, Northbrook College
- 2011: NCFE Level 2 Award in Helping Skills, City College Brighton & Hove
- 2011: CPCAB Level 2 Award in Introduction to Counselling Skills, Varndean College
- 2003-2006: BA Hons Linguistics (2:1), University of Sussex
- 2016-present: Counsellor in private practice, Hove Counselling & Therapy
- 2013-present: Counsellor, Rock Clinic Association, Brighton